I’ve written about The Economist’s Jeremy Cliffe before. Here he is again:
Merkel was widely derided for her immigrant policies. But now we know:
– 3/4 of new immigrants have done or are doing German courses
– 33% speak good or v good German, up from 18%
– 35% are in work
– 2011-16 migrants added €35 billion to the German economy
— Jeremy Cliffe (@JeremyCliffe) January 26, 2019
It’s good to know that mass immigration policies are considered a success if 35% of newcomers are in work. Presumably taxpayers are happy to support the remaining 65% who can be found lolling around street corners, shopping centres, and cafes during the day. And I have a feeling the working behind that €35 billion number might reveal an assumption or two which would cause a belly laugh in this parish. As one of my Finnish readers points out:
Note that your translation “in work” is inaccurate. The German word is “Beschäftigung”, which I believe in statistical terms is “employment” in English, but it is not “employed” as in the everyday vocabulary.
It includes all kinds of training, at least 1 hour per week.
— Pekka Taipale (@ptaipale) January 27, 2019
I bet Cliffe didn’t even know that; his job is to propagandise, not inform.