On June 12th 2003 I was sent on my first overseas business trip to Oman, via the United Arab Emirates, and never really came back. I consider myself to have emigrated on this date, even if the practical arrangements were sorted out back in the UK over 2 weeks in the following August.
Since then I have:
- Visited 35 countries, 19 of them at somebody else’s expense.
- Made 192 international border crossings.
- Worked for 5 companies, been fired from 1.
- Held a work permit in 4 countries, lived in 5.
- Learned 2 languages (one to a basic level, the other to intermediate).
- Got platinum membership with both a major airline and a major hotel chain.
- Made some cash.
Sometimes it has been brilliant, sometimes it has been utter shite. One must take the rough with the smooth.