Catchup

I spent the first two weeks of November lying on the White Beach of Boracay, Philippines doing precisely nothing, an activity which included ignoring all news and not reading as much as a single website.  It is something I should do far more often.

Catching up on who has said and done what in the world, two things caught my eye.

The first was Medvedev blaming the US for the global economic crisis in his State of the Union Address:

I think the concept that their own world view is solely true and incontestable, which emerged after the fall of the Soviet Union, ultimately led the U.S. to major economic blunders. By inflating the financial bubble to stimulate its own growth, the U.S. not only neglected coordinating its decisions with other members of global markets, but also forewent an elementary sense of moderation. They refused to heed the numerous warnings of their partners — Russia included by the way. Consequently, they inflicted harm on both themselves and others.

Russia complaining that the US is responsible for hardships at home – even those yet to be properly felt – is nothing new, but complaining that the collapse of the US economy is to blame for economic woes in Russia reminded me of this post.

The second was this:

In a letter to his Ukrainian counterpart Viktor Yushchenko, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has denounced what he calls Ukraine’s attempts at revising history. He accuses the political leadership in Kiev of exploiting the great famine of the 1930s, known as Holodomor, for political ends.

Medvedev said in his letter that ”the tragic events of the 1930s are being used in Ukraine in order to achieve instantaneous and conformist political goals.”

As if the Holodomor itself was not an attempt by the government in Moscow to achieve instantaneous and conformist political goals.

This entry was posted in Politics, Russia. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Catchup

1. Bruce Robertson says:

a) You lazy barsteward. A long time since I sat on Brighton beach.
    b) Bush, Brown & Blair have a lot to answer for.

2. Dee says:

As an American, I am just rolling my eyes. It’s very easy to blame the Big Bad USA for all global economic woes. Does ANY world leader, though, ever say “Hey, we screwed up. Oops! What a mess. Sorry guys.” Nope. Won’t happen.

America is in a terrible recession and everyone I know is affected in some way. It’s a complicated problem and it will require a complicated solution. I hope and pray our new president is going to get the job done.

3. Khabarovsk online says:

So who is responsible for the crisis? Let me guess – China!

If the goal of Yushchenko is to split his yet divided country and lower his yet low rating he is right on the spot.

4. Mike says:

Hi mate, the rest has your brain parked, I’m positive you went to Boragay after I left, and the first 2 weeks of September you were enjoying offshore life. Maybe all the alcohol after drying out, has left your mind a little fuzy. Hope I am back for the ashes series mate.

Mike,

I think you’re right. I’ve been calling November September all this week. I blame all these PtA transitions I’m dealing with at the moment.

6. Paris says:

About “Holodomor”. Don’t try to be ironic about something you do not even know what it is. I am not a History teacher so I would not teach you. But next time ‘joking’ about 1000 of times 9/11 number of deaths, try to be more objective then those who cries that 9/11 was a fake commanded from Washington.

Firstly, I’m not trying to be ironic. Secondly, I do know what the Holodomor was. Thirdly, I was not joking. Fourthly, please don’t tell me what to do on my own blog.

8. Paris says:

No, you do not know. You pretend that you know.

Well, let’s see. You have said I was being ironic when I was not. You have said I was joking when I was not.

On what basis are you judging my knowledge of the Holodomor? A single sentence of mine which you have managed to misinterpret twice?

10. Paris says:

You were ironic. I never said that you were joking. In France we use the guillemets to underline the ironic sense.

Again. I am not a History teacher. I would not teach you the Holodomor.

Your ‘single sentence’, I’ve already said what I think about.

You were ironic.

About the Holodomor? No, I wasn’t. At a stretch you could say I was being ironic about Medvedev’s comments.

I never said that you were joking.

Then what did you mean by:

“But next time joking about 1000 of times 9/11 number of deaths, try to be more objective then those who cries that 9/11 was a fake commanded from Washington.”?

12. gillbates says:

Mabuhay! thank you for visiting the Philippines. Do come back!