Travel

On Thursday 12th June I will be going back to the UK for a 10-day visit, for the first time since June 2006. The last time I saw any of my family was at my wedding in September 2006, and I haven’t been to the UK since I’ve been living in Sakhalin. In those 2 years, I have been to Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, South Korea, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Spain, Vietnam, and Cambodia, but kept missing the UK.

June 12th will also be 5 years to the day since I first emigrated, when I went to Oman for 5 weeks’ work and never really came home again. For that decision I have no regrets whatsoever. It’s also 5 years since I paid any income tax.

I’m not sure what to expect when I get to the UK. Chaos, filth, and expense, probably. I’m going to be travelling through Heathrow which I’m not looking forward to. But I am looking forward to meeting up with all those people I haven’t seen in years, and being able to visit shops which actually sell stuff and not finding I have to pay a 3% fee to either draw out cash or use my credit card.

On 24th June I will be flying to St. Petersburg where I will meet up with my wife and, if the weather is good, enjoy drinking cold beers under the skies of the White Nights. Now that is living.

This entry was posted in Travel. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Travel

uh-oh. watch out for terrorist plots, typhoons, earthquakes and Irish Beer prohibition Laws: Tim Newman is coming!

2. mitya says:

Pray tell, Tim, how it is that you are not liable for any Russian income tax?

3. L.S says:

The white nights here are simply awesome and do encourage one to have a cold beer outside. I hope it won’t be raining when you come to Spb so that you enjoy the full experience. What a beautiful city!
    Have a safe trip home!

Pray tell, Tim, how it is that you are not liable for any Russian income tax?

My employer pays it for me. A lot of oil and gas employment contracts are negotiated net of tax.

I see – you missed all the fun; if you’ve been in Piter this past weekend you’d be able to compare English and Russian football fans (in my opinion, equally mad)

6. Travel Guide says:

i. Agnes Lee here of Travel Guide Blog. Can we use this article of yours in our blogsite? We will credit you accordingly.

And also, if you are interested to link exchange we are so willing to do so. You can contact me thru this email:

agnes(dot)odusee(at)gmail(dot)com. Good luck and more power. Thanks. (: