Victory Day in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk

Last Wednesday, 9th May, was Victory Day in Russia, and a national public holiday.  Although grey and overcast, the weather in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk was warm and it didn’t rain, so I decided to wander up to the war memorial in the afternoon and take some pictures.

Victory Day celebrations, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk

Victory Day celebrations, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk

Victory Day celebrations, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk

War memorial, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk

War memorial, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk

Victory Day flowers, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk

War memorial, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk

Victory Day celebrations, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk

Victory Day flowers, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk

Victory Day flowers, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk

After the war memorial, I decided to take a walk through nearby Gagarin Park, which as the photos show was pretty busy with Russians enjoying their day off.  One would have been forgiven for thinking the local governor had issued every resident of Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk with a bottle of beer and ordered them into the park for the day.

Gagarin Park, Victory Day, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk

Gagarin Park, Victory Day, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk

The beer kiosks were doing a roaring trade…

Gagarin Park, Victory Day, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk

…as were the open-air cafes selling shashlik.

Gagarin Park, Victory Day, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk

Gagarin Park, Victory Day, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk

Gagarin Park, Victory Day, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk

Gagarin Park, Victory Day, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk

Gagarin Park, Victory Day, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk

Gagarin Park, Victory Day, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk

Vladimir Putin, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk

The day passed, as does every day, under the watchful eye of Vladimir Putin.

This entry was posted in Photos, Sakhalin. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Victory Day in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk

1. Impressive photography.

2. Red October says:

Looks like all had fun time. Great pictures.

3. iragerman says:

Brilliant identification of the difference between American and Russian patriotism. And evil dwarf pic – mr Putin looks very much appropriate to the scenery. Great pix. The boy particularly.
    One cannot argue sometimes these total outs in small not-yet-civilized towns seem a bit miserable for an alien eye. Although nice to observe that since official celebrations of the days of communism, nowadays Vday celebrations somehow shifted to the domain of family/friends gatherings. I know for sure it still means a lot to us russians. Although its the reason to be proud of ourselves it still hurts.

4. varske says:

Great pictures of life in Sakhalin, but still no leaves on the trees?

5. Lennart says:

I found your website through a Google-search when looking for some way to actually see and read the original Sakhalin-II PSA between SEIC and the Russian government.
    At the moment Im writing a research paper for a Law course of my university and it would be very helpful if i could gain insight in the PSA.

I want to ask you: do you know by any chance where i can read this PSA online?

Many thanks in advance.

Lennart,

The PSA contract between SEIC and the Russian government is almost certainly not in the public domain. I’m pretty sure it won’t be on the internet, nor lying around in too many offices.

7. Lennart says:

thnx anyways!

8. Lindsay says:

Tim, these are great photos. What kind of camera do you use?

Lindsay,

Thanks! I use a Sony DSC-R1, which has been a tremendous buy. I’ll probably upgrade to a Canon DSLR this year, but I’ll still be using the Sony a lot. I’m even tempted to buy a spare, in case this one breaks after the model is discontinued.

10. Pingback: Global Voices Online » Russia: May 9 in St. Pete, Moscow and on Sakhalin

11. JJ says:

your blogs taking off . . more frequent posts, lots of photos and more comments . .
    keep it up

12. Elena says:

I was born on Sakhalin island and did not visit for over 10 years and I was thrilled to see some pictures. THANK YOU!