I can’t seem to get off this topic. Here’s a story from yesterday’s Telegraph:
Companies in the UK must undergo a “genuine culture change” to get rid of alpha males and promote women, government ministers have said.
Ministers John Glen and Victoria Atkins have called for “greater diversity” in the workplace, adding that companies should “call out” non-inclusive behaviour.
They particularly highlighted the “woefully low” number of women in senior jobs the City, which is both “morally wrong” and affects the sector’s productivity.
“We have a problem when it comes to the representation of senior women in the financial services sector,” the ministers said in a letter to MPs.
There is just so many things wrong with these four paragraphs it’s easier to make a list than fisk it:
1. Why is it assumed alpha male traits are bad for business? Are companies filled with beta males more profitable?
2. Why are Conservative MP’s calling for culture changes? What, if anything, are they interested in actually conserving?
3. Why is “greater diversity” assumed to be better for businesses? If this was the case, why are they not doing it already and reaping the rewards?
4. Why is the number of women employed in the financial sector a moral issue? As I’m fond of saying, these people would be better off going to church rather than haranguing the public.
5. What is the basis for the claim that putting more women in senior jobs in the City will increase productivity? And why are firms not doing that already if this is the case?
Responding to the Treasury Committee’s Women in Finance report, the Government accepted MPs’ calls to abolish “alpha male” culture, remove the stigma of flexible working and encourage senior men to lead by example.
Its letter says there is still a “long way to go” for the financial sector to become diverse. “This includes encouraging gender balance at all levels of seniority and focusing on other forms of diversity,” it said.
This story says far less about the role of women in London’s financial sector than the role of women and wet beta males in politics. If politics is downstream of culture, then business is rapidly becoming downstream of politics. And if this is what passes for a Conservative government, there is absolutely no reason to vote for them. None at all.